(Netanya, Israel) — We urgently need Christians around the world to pray for peace and to mobilize your family, friends and churches to pray and fast. The situation here is rapidly going from bad to worse. It is nearly midnight here, and the battle between Hamas and Israel has been intensifying hour by hour throughout the day. Hamas, Islamic Jihad and other Palestinian terror organizations are firing rockets, missiles and mortars at innocent civilians in Israel, along the southern border. Each act is a war crime. The terrorists are also firing from behind innocent civilians in Gaza, often from hospitals, mosques and schools. Thus, each act is actually two war crimes. In just the past several hours, the terrorists have fired more 50 times at Israel. That’s more than 100 war crimes. Since Saturday, they have fired at Israeli civilians more than 200 times. That’s more than 400 war crimes. Yet the world is paying very little attention and doing little to stop the terrorist attacks. Israel, therefore, is moving swiftly to defend herself.
Please pray for the Lord to intervene and stop the violence. Pray for the Lord to protect and comfort those injured and traumatized on both sides, Jews and Arabs. Please pray for the followers of Jesus Christ here to be brave and courageous to humbly serve those in need and provide humanitarian relief as needed.
You can track events most closely by following me on Twitter — @joelcrosenberg, but here are the latest developments.
- 10:52 P.M. local time — Security Cabinet authorized the IDF to draft reservists and expand Gaza operation (Barak Ravid)
- 10:17 P.M. — Summary of Gaza rocket fire toward Israel’s south: 60 rockets were fired on Wednesday from Gaza at Israel’s south; 48 toward Be’er Sheva, Dimona and Ofaqim; 12 toward Ashdod, the Lachish area and Sha’ar Havegev Regional Council; Iron Dome batteries intercepted 17 rockets (Haaretz)
- 10:12 PM — Netanyahu and Barak hold press conference to announce “Operation Pillar of Defense” and says IDF preparing to massively escalate. “Today we sent a clear message to the Hamas organization and to other terrorist organizations, and should the need arise, the IDF is prepared to broaden the operation,” Netanyahu said at a joint press conference with Defense Minster Ehud Barak. “We will continue to do everything to protect our citizens.” Netanyahu blamed Hamas for escalating its attacks against civilians, and added that Israel was “not prepared to make peace with a situation in which Israel’s citizens are menaced by the terror of rocket fire. “No country would agree to such a situation; Israel is not prepared to reconcile itself to such a situation,” said Netanyahu.
- 9:41 P.M. — United States Embassy in Tel Aviv issues security message for U.S. citizens in Israel, advises them to pay close attention to news reports and follow civil defense guidance provided by the Home Front Command (Allison Kaplan Sommer, Haaretz)
- 8:55 PM — “Sirens wailed in the city of Beersheba Wednesday night as residents across the city took shelter from incoming rockets fired from the Gaza Strip. The attacks came in the wake of the assassination of Hamas military chief Ahmed Jabari, which marked the commencement of Operation Pillar of Defense against terror targets in the Gaza Strip. The Iron Dome system downed some 17 rockets over Beersheba and towns surrounding the Gaza Strip. All in all, over 50 rockets were launched by Palestinian terrorist groups in the Gaza Strip, Wednesday evening including 17 long-range Grad rockets that were fired at Beersheba….Residents within range of rocket fire from Gaza were requested to remain within 15 seconds of a shelter. School was called off for Thursday throughout the south, including in Beersheba, Ashdod and Ashkelon. The police raised alert levels amid fears of terror attacks.” (Times of Israel)
- 8:38 P.M. — Benjamin Netanyahu: The IDF is ready for action; we will continue doing everything in order to protect our citizens. If necessary, we will expand operations (Haaretz)
- 7:42 P.M. — President Shimon Peres speaks to U.S. President Barak Obama on the phone, says Israel is not interested in raising the height of the flames, but for five days, rockets have been fired toward us and mothers and children are unable to sleep in peace at night. Ahme Jabari stood behind many terrorist activities (Barak Ravid)
- 5:36 P.M. — IDF Spokesman: Israeli military ready for ground operation in Gaza, should there be need for an incursion (Barak Ravid)
- 5:26 P.M. – Palestinians say Hamas military wing chief in Rafah, Raed al-Atar, killed in IDF strike (Haaretz)
- 4:06 P.M. — Top Hamas commander Ahmed Jabari in car hit by Israeli airstrike (Haaretz)
- New e-book – Israel At War: Inside The Nuclear Showdown With Iran — now available on Kindle, Nook, other formats (includes sneak preview of material from forthcoming Damascus Countdown novel)
- Help The Joshua Fund care for the poor and needy in Israel, teach the Word of God in the epicenter, educate and mobilize Christians around the world to bless poor and needy Israelis, train pastors and ministry leaders in Egypt, strengthen the believers in Syria, and prepare for a possible major new war in the epicenter — please prayerfully consider a generous, tax deductible financial contribution to The Joshua Fund.
- Come with The Joshua Fund and me to Israel for the 2013 “Prayer & Vision Tour” and the 2013 Epicenter Conference — click here for more details and to register
- Follow Joel on Twitter — @joelcrosenberg